Sunday 12 April 2015

A PRICELESS Birthday - How to have one.

Oh my gosh - it's my mum's birthday and I am broke :'(. What should I do?

Luckily, there's a number of restaurants and cafes which gives freebies on your birthday. So, to celebrate my mum's birthday this year, I decided to give her a memorable, and more importantly, a price-LESS birthday.

For Breakfast, I got her the Gourmet Wagyu Burger from Mos Burger, which was free. But I had to get myself the Matcha Latte ($5.95) cuz I didn't wanna look like a cheapskate. Just because I am one doesn't mean I want to look like one :P. 

Free Gourmet Wagyu Burger normally $6.95

Then for Morning Tea, I took her to Hakataya Ramen and got her the Char Siu Men with extra pork, for free. But again, I felt bad and got myself the Gyoza ($7 for 6 pieces).

Free Char Siu Men with extra pork, normally $13.50.

For lunch, I got her a free Ratatouille from Vapiano. Got myself a Prosciutto E Funghi pizza ($19.90) though.

Ratatouille, normally $16.90

Thought it was time for some dessert, so got her a Churros For Two, free again, from San Churro.

Churro For Two, normally $14.95

Got a little thirsty, so went to Boost for a free Green Tea Mango Mantra Super Smoothie with mango, green tea, mango nectar, vanilla, yoghurt, sorbet and ice. Mmmm.

Mango Smoothie, normally $7

Boost Juice on Urbanspoon

After that heavy breky/morning tea, thought it was time for something healthy. How about a free salad from Sumo Salad ?

Regular Salad, normally $9.95

Felt a little too healthy, so we went to Cold Rock for a free kiddies ice-cream with 1 mix-in. A delicious, refreshing mango sorbet with crunchy peanut brittle - a weird yet heavenly combination.

Kiddies Ice-cream, normally $4.90

Cold Rock on Urbanspoon



Time for some afternoon tea - I went to Salsas and get my mum a free Chicken Vege Burrito. Grilled chicken, coriander, lime rice, zucchini, broccoli, onion, capsicum, cheese, salsa fresca with a mild ranch sauce. Check out how generous the fillings were:

Chicken and Vege Burrito, normally $10.95

Salsa's Fresh Mex Grill on Urbanspoon

And then it was dinner time - gosh time flies when you're having food! $30 off a hearty dinner from Ribs & Rump. 1kg Grain-Fed MSA Man-O-War Rump Steak with a Full Rack of Juicy Lam Ribs.

Meat Your Match Challenge, normally $85.

Dinner isn't complete without dessert, so we went to Baskin Robbins for a free Rum & Raisin Ice-cream Cone. Delicious rum ice-cream with massive raisins mmm....

1 scoop cone, normally $4.90

Baskin Robbins on Urbanspoon

Hold on...where are the birthday gifts??!! What's a birthday without any gifts? Thankfully, there's a few stores which give away freebies as well.

First stop, Kikki.K - with my mum's $10 birthday voucher, I got her some post-it-notes.

Normally $12.90.

Then off to Mimco - $30 birthday voucher. I got my mum a shopping bag and got myself some hair clips:

Normally $59.90.

My mum's been complaining about Wrinkles so I got her Rosehip Oil from Priceline. Apparently very effective. Free $5 birthday voucher from Priceline.

Normally $29.95.
The Food Extinguisher is amazed that the leaning tower of rosehip oil still hasn't toppled over.

I've been eyeing that Shimmer Brick ($75) from Bobbi Brown for a while now (and my mum also likes the colours :P). Free 3ml Smokey Eye Mascara and 30ml Instant Make Up Remover with every purchase.

Shimmer Brick, normally $75.

REFLECTION
So I managed to give my mum a very "memorable birthday" :) - but was it really price-LESS? Well, I've learnt that There's no such thing as a free meal. I spent around $220.65.

I really think @Foodsmut (Fellow Instagramer) is right - the shops are definitely up to something lol. At least I had a lot of fun doing this post and my mum felt a little used. No harm done :).

A complete list of freebies is available here

2 comments:

  1. Your heart's in the right place and I'm sure your mum had a fun filled and food packed birthday! Did you consider what else you could have spent your $220 on? Hindsight's a wonderful thing! My partner's obsessed with freebies and bargains. I keep telling him it's false economy because he buys lots of stuff we don't really need.

    Teri Harris @ Caiger And Co. Catering

    ReplyDelete

>